Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Dream Team

And welcome to the 2012 edition of the Mud and Dust Tour blog!  I've only been waiting for this moment for about, oh, 365 days.  Well maybe not so many but this time of year is definitely my favorite part of my job. For 2012 I'm on the same route as last year with a small twist. 

I was asked to assist the Indiana State Fair in booking a couple of acts for their free stage that were geared toward a younger demographic.  Yay for teeny boppers!  Most of you probably heard about the stage collapse last year and are wondering 'I wonder what they are doing different'.  The stage that collapsed in 2011 was a portable top that was constructed on a permanent, concrete stage facing their grandstand seating.  The stage is still there and the grandstand is still there as well.  They are using the facility and track for events such as auto racing and tractor pulls this year.  They will not have large concerts in this facility this year.  Those have been moved downtown to Bankers Fieldhouse (formerly Conseco).  On the fairgrounds they are offering some amazing free shows; MC Hammer, Ted Nugent, REO Speedwagon all on a permanent steel stage that has been on the grounds for many years.  I got to visit the stage and fair last Saturday while AllStar Weekend was playing.  It was nice to venture out into the fair for a bit with friends and see the fair going strong!
Baby Gibson's 1st State Fair on Ball State Day!

Indiana State Fair Free Stage


The next stop on my route was back home for packing.  I'll be honest I was really looking forward to hitting the road.  I wanted to see everyone but just didn't have the overwhelming energy that I've had in the past.  Maybe because I didn't want to leave everyone at home?  Maybe the house?  I don't know.  So I ended up putting off packing until late Sunday night.  I have been excited because I've finally made the shift to going completely electronic.  The past three years I have packed 2- 4" binders filled with paper which can be interpreted as the contracts for each act I work with.  I'm now utilizing my iPad and an online program to store my contracts for viewing and carry a 1/2" binder that holds my "advance" sheets where I write all of the needed information for each day.  I can't tell you how happy I am that I can jump in the car with an iPad and 1/2" binder and know I have everything I need.  So as I began packing I realized I was going to have so much more space!  Some of you know I've been on somewhat of a health kick since January.  I purposely volunteered to lead a weight loss challenge with 20+ ladies that just happens to last through my summer travels.  I'm hoping this will keep me motivated to watch what I eat and actually exercise so I don't gain the typical 10-15lbs I do while on the road.  While I may not have my binders I now have 5 workout outfits and a scale.  Here's how you pack for a month on the road--
From this...
...to this, Bertha and the office suitcases

Now the true test will be if I can get it back to that in two weeks to move to NY. :) 
Yesterday (Tues), I set out for Des Moines, IA for the Iowa State Fair.  With just a few delays (at this point I'm used to craziness of the airlines) I made it safely.  The first couple of days are seeing everyone and getting settled in both at the hotel and the true 'home away from home'. 

I truly love this fair.  It's not because it's one of the largest, or it's one of the most attended fairs in the country, or one of the nicest.  That's all GREAT but it's the Dream Team I get to work with here.  It's not everywhere you find a team that works so well together that things run seamlessly and just get done.  From the sound and light king, to the video guru, to the maintenance 'fixer all's, amazing runners, security, chefs and labor providers, and an AMAZING fair staff, I'm seriously in heaven.  My job would not be as easy if I didn't have the trust in these guys to get their jobs done well. 

Wednesday was spent moving into my 'home away from home', getting my new ID badge (I still had blonde hair in my photo :) ), working on finishing advancing a few shows and finalizing the schedules for the next couple of days.  Amazingly, I'm slightly ahead and feel like it's smooth sailing until next Thursday.  Gosh, I hope I'm right! 
Triangle Talent Grandstand Production Office


Tomorrow is opening day and we're looking forward to a great day with TobyMac, Tenth Avenue North and Jamie Grace!



No comments:

Post a Comment