Sunday, August 19, 2012

Don't Stop Believin'

We hit the big time today, whether we were ready for it not.  The long days are really catching up with me now.  I was good until about 7p tonight and then hit a wall.  But that's beside the point because it was all worth it to see 11,000+ people flood into the grandstand. 

Journey/Benatar/Loverboy has been sold out for nearly two months.  It's amazing how they were just here three years ago (with Heart minus Benatar/Loverboy) and a sell out then as well.  This tour was huge.  Benatar's setup with Neil's guitar world could be a headliner show on it's own.  Then put it with Journey and Houston, we have a problem.  The stage here is just too small.  There was no way around it.  We ended up having to build two wings with scaffold and boards.  That way they could store what couldn't fit on the stage.  Plus we had the trucks waiting to be able to pack right up at the stage because they have a 900mile hike tonight.  The day started out late because they had an 800 mile hike from Louisville last night.  Not a problem for me since I was only going to get 5hours of sleep as it was. 

The crew was great today.  The production manager is one of the best guys that I know at his job.  He's very thorough and easy to work with which makes my day so much better.  We had to work through issues like sight line seats, interpreters, moving trucks and trailers back and forth during the show.  It was definitely a huge production.  We really didn't have any problems until the rain set in.  Of course it was at show time again.  We still started on time and after about 30mins it drifted out as quickly as it came in.  I definitely racked up the 'steps' today with 5 trips to the box office and 4 trips to the stage. 

The show was amazing.  Loverboy is a great group of guys. Benatar, don't get me started.  She still has it but she's still.....  I had to leave the backstage area because she didn't want to be seen walking to the bus.  Seriously??  11,000 people just watched her on stage but she can't been seen by local crew?  This is why she's #2 on my "I really have to work with her?"  Journey is just awesome, 'nuff said. 






Now I get to sit here for another two hours waiting for them to get their stuff packed up and get on the road.   Plus it's too cold to stand outside.  This is seriously fall weather.  I wish I had packed more pants!  Tomorrow is the night that never ends...4 bands!  But I can't wait to see my friends with Eli Young Band and Little Big Town.  Last night at the 2012 Iowa State Fair with another sold out crowd!

No comments:

Post a Comment