Sunday, August 12, 2012

Git-R-Done!

Well today was just peachy!  I think it might have been the easiest production day in my career.  We had Larry the Cable Guy and Reno Collier in the grandstand tonight.  Larry and Reno pulled in on their bus this morning, a runner picked them up and took them to the golf course.  I was up and out the door for a run about the same time.  I had decided to come over to the fair a little early today instead of just lounging around at the hotel.  I ended up getting to my office about 11:30a and then got a visit from one of our agents out of Nashville.  He's on a road trip in an RV visiting his buyer's fairs.  I took them around the fair showing them all the stages.  It was nice to actually get out and see the great crowds on another gorgeous day.  The past three days have not only been completely spoiling us because of the easy schedules and groups but mother nature has been cooperative as well.  It looks like rain will be coming in tonight and we might not be so lucky tomorrow.  I think the high is in the mid-high 70s...wow!  I finally got one of the last two shows advanced this afternoon so I'm rolling right along.  I keep telling everyone it's running too smoothly and something is going to hit the fan soon.  While I know it will start getting busier (the tours will get bigger, more needy and I'm sure problems will arise) I can actually see the end in sight. 

The day just rolled by without a hitch.  Larry, Reno, their bus driver and tour manager were parked outside the bus watching golf and smoking cigars.  Larry does his meet and greet in his stage clothes, consisting of a cut off kahki t-shirt, camo pants and what I think were TOMS slipons (he did match though).  Reno starts the show and is funny as heck.  I can't put my finger on it but I think I've seen him perform in Louisville. 

Reno Collier on the Iowa State Fair Grandstand stage

Larry went on stage and had the audience of 6,000 rolling for 80mins.  Many people asked me throughout the day if he is down to earth.  Larry is one of the most down to earth entertainers I know.  His shtick on stage is one liners.  He's calm, funny and nice off stage. 
Larry the Cable Guy--view from Front of House




This clock has been in catering and has completely screwed me up several times now.  I always glance at it and think it's actually later than it is.  It's owner states "it's a little backwards".  All things explained! 


Big day (early day) tomorrow with Miranda Lambert.  We're looking at an 8000+ show.  I'm looking forward to the biggest crowd this year!

1 comment: