Wednesday, August 15, 2012

If I Die Young....

The title of tonight's blog is just a bit creepy.  But I'm going to flashback to yesterday for a minute.  We had a dark day in the grandstand.  That means that we didn't have a concert.  Instead there were car races on the track.  It's nothing but a dirty, loud, good ole' time.  I had expected to take this day to catch up and dive right into the next fair's work and to visit a local lake for a change of scenery for my run.  Unfortunately, I ended up sleeping for like 8hours.  I guess I was tired after a 15hour work day!  By the time I made it out to the lake it was 11:30.  I had already been on the phone for an hour fielding calls and they didn't stop.  The phone rang 5x while I was out for a half hour.  Either way, nothing can beat this scenery.  I can't wait to go back tomorrow!  It's a 1 1/4mile paved sidewalk around the lake.  I'll definitely be getting up early to avoid the phone ringing off the hook. 
Copper Creek Lake, Des Monies, IA
I ended up back at the hotel working for a couple of hours and then made my way over to the fairgrounds to hang out with friends for a little while.  We ended up at one of my favorite stages watching one of the local hair, cover bands.  I look forward to one fried treat here every year.  When I had realized I hadn't eaten anything for supper I stopped and picked it up on my way out of the grounds, Cajun fried chicken on a stick!
Knapp Amphitheater- Iowa State Fairgrounds



Cajun fried chicken on a stick
Today was another easy day.  I was ready for the show with The Band Perry and Easton Corbin.  It was just busy enough to keep me running and a little bit of time to catch up on the next couple of days.  We have another day off tomorrow so I'll be working away trying to play catch up.  We had a little bit of a different atmosphere backstage today. Being in the business and being around entertainers and those that are around them 24/7, I seem to forget and take for granted the fact that they are celebrities.  This is their job.  They live their lives without any privacy which is a huge sacrifice.  We have smaller acts and larger acts but at this point they are in the spotlight and have every eye on them.  For those of you that aren't familiar with the Perry's they are siblings; two brothers, one sister.  They recently faced a security threat so their security detail was a bit higher.  We normally don't have armed or uniformed police officers backstage.  Today we had six.  I'm glad the Perry's are able to take the extra precautions needed.  They are a sweet family and extremely talented.  It's just a shame that our world is how it is today and no one is safe.  However, today I felt like I was one of the safest people on the fairgrounds. 

Soon before Easton Corbin took the stage his tour manager told me that he was so disappointed to find out that Restless Heart was playing another stage.  He thought he was going to miss it.  I told him that they were doing a later show that he would be able to make.  Easton was almost literally jumping up and down before he went on stage when he found out.  We even ended up setting up an opportunity for him to meet them.  Even the celebs have idols! 

Both shows were great!  The crowd was a little light but man, did they pack a punch!  They were singing all of the songs back and it sounded like the grandstand was full.  Many wondered why the tickets sales were so low.  They were just here last year on a free stage and drew 10,000+ people.  They were hanging out of the trees trying to get a better view!  They've only released one album and have been touring off of that for over a year.  But good news to any of you that are fans (including myself!), there will be a new album released next year!  These are one of the most down to earth groups I've encountered and I hope that they are able to stay the sweet, southern folks that they are.  I mean, come on their Mom travels everywhere with them!  Too cute!

Band Perry





No comments:

Post a Comment