Friday, August 12, 2011

Everything is subject to change....

It's funny how details can just flip like a coin.  Some days you're heads up...the next your tail might as well be in the air.  I've declared my motto for the 2011 Mud and Dust Tour "EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE".  The producers of Triangle Talent, Inc. learned this lesson Tuesday night.  After my safe travels (yes American Airlines proved me wrong..on the first leg at least) and greetings with my Iowian family I was set for another awesome year at the Iowa State Fair!  We all said everything was going quite smoothly and we shocked.  Turned out it was only the calm before the storm. 

We soon found out that Lynyrd Skynyrd would more than likely be cancelling several of their shows- including their performance at the Iowa and Missouri State Fairs.  Of course when any act has to cancel it's not good, but a headliner such as them can throw you into a tizzy.  And that it did!  We were scrambling trying to find a new act to fill their spot.  Luckily, Kansas was able to step in and fill the spot at the Iowa State Fair.  I can't even go into detail about how my Wednesday went but I can definitely say I was in need of medication by the end of it!  Johnnie Van Zant, lead of the band, was admitted into the hospital last Saturday for a staph infection.  His doctor strongly advised he stay off the road for at least two weeks and cancel or reschedule all shows in the time period.  We wish Johnnie the best and a quick recovery.  I will miss working with the group again but look forward to our day with Kansas and the Doobie Brothers next Tuesday!  At the conclusion of Wednesday we received yet another spiraling email...Gavin DeGraw (support for Maroon 5 and Train) was assaulted...well really he was jumped, had the crap beat out of him and then was pushed in front of moving cab...on Monday morning.  We knew of the incident and were told that he was doing well.  Unfortunately, he was not recovering from his concussion, broken nose and black and blue bruises and his doctor's said he needed to stay off the road for a few weeks.  So...another one bites the dust.  Thankfully the agents filled his spot and we didn't have too much but than to inform his fans of his withdrawal from the show.  Seriously, if any more acts can't perform...I'm coming home =)  We wish Gavin the best.  I've worked with them several times and he's one of my personal favorites.

Enough of the downer stuff...on to opening day of the fair!  We had a grand ole' time.  Nothing better than starting a 10 day run with some great Christian music and awesome groups.  Casting Crowns and Sanctus Real were the easiest to work with.  Made my and my team's day so great.  We had the opportunity to get them involved in the Iowa Food Bank Association and the Iowa Soybean Association's CanStructure.  They are building a butter cow (google the butter cow of the state fair if you've never heard of this) out of canned goods.  Those cans plus the monetary donations collected throughout the fair will go back to the food bank and those in need. 
To explain how great Casting Crowns are, I passed the photo opportunity by them.  Not only did they agree they also wanted to help.  They purchased $300 worth of canned foods and delivered them to the booth.  Just amazing to see that happen.  With over 7,000 people in the stands they put on an amazing show! 
The best was setting the fireworks off right as their last song ended and hearing the crowd erupt!  That might be where the artists look for their energy, but I know it's where I find mine.  Melanie, the lovely tour manager for Casting Crowns gave me a CD autograhed by her and her husband (the lead singer, Mark) and with her message she noted Proverbs 3:5-6.  5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.  Not so upset over yesterday's trauma after that. 

I can't forget to mention the Presidential candidates on the grounds.  I didn't see them but plenty knew they were here.  I guess I'm supposed to be looking for Sarah Palin tomorrow.  Fun stuff

Looking forward to tomorrow with Jason Aldean!

No comments:

Post a Comment