Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Listen to the Music

I haven't blogged for the past couple of days because we've been dark in the Grandstand.  Sunday we were supposed to have a sold out show with Sugarland.  I think that day everyone was in a complete daze.  I can't even fathom the terror all parties at the Indiana State Fair were facing that day and still today.  This tragic event will forever change our business.  For good or bad it will never be the same.  Given we had the day off Mark (sound/lights expert), Dale (video guru) and myself went and had dinner.  Dale treated us to toast to those victims and the tragic event.  Unfortunately, Sugarland was not able to work out coming on Monday.  I don't blame them one bit.  It's my understanding that they are extremely traumatised as to be expected. 


We then headed back over to the fairgrounds for a front row seat of the memorial fireworks.  The Iowa State Fair decided to dedicate their fireworks show to the victims of the accident.  It was a extremely somber moment as the show was meant for the 11,000 people that would have been in the Grandstand at that time for Sugarland.  I had the distinct pleasure of setting the fireworks off!  Couldn't have been more exciting!  That was until I found out one of the shells didn't explode and fell about three feet from us.  YIKES!  Thanks to that video guru for snapping some shots of us in action.


Ready for action

Right at Ground Zero


Gorgeous!

I spent Monday in the office working on advancing shows for New York State Fair.  I got to spend the evening off as an actual fair goer.  I don't get to do that too often.  I had a great time hanging out with friends and watching the free stage.  Below is my favorite stage on the fairgrounds.  I just love the architecture of it.  The Susan Knapp amphitheater typically features up and coming concert artists.  Monday night it was time for the regional cover band "Hairball" to take the stage.  They were amazing and had costume changes to represent the artist they were singing.  Prince and Bret Michaels made an "appearance". 
Susan Knapp stage

Tuesday was such a great day.  We had Doobie Brothers and Kansas taking the grandstand.  This show was originally booked as Lynyrd Skynyrd and Doobie Brothers.  When LS cancelled we added Kansas to the bill.  We only had about 1500 refunds so obviously most people were there to see Doobies to begin with.  I just love a packed house with folks singing along with the band.  It's even better when they're louder than the band. =)  Looks like I'll hopefully be getting out of here a little early, 1:00AM!! The band was cleaned up and loaded in just under an hour and half.  It's always great when those little surprises happen. 

Looking forward to another day off.  Not quite sure what to do with all these days off.  Oh yeah...finish up the next one. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment