Thursday, April 7, 2011

Flat Stanley visits Louisville, KY!

For those of you who aren't aware of who Flat Stanley is, you might recognize him in the photos below.  The Flat Stanley Project was started in 1995 by Dale Hubert, a third grade schoolteacher in London, Ontario, Canada. Students begin by reading the book, Flat Stanley, and becoming acquainted with the story. Then they make paper "Flat Stanleys" and are mailed to other people who are asked to treat the figure as a visiting guest and document his experiences.  Stanley and the journal are then returned to the student, who takes the project back to school to share with their class. 

 I was surprised several weeks ago when Flat Stanley arrived from Branson, MO.  Josh's son, Jaden is in kindergarten and they were doing the project.  Jaden thought it would be cool for Stanley to visit Louisville.  I created a fun photo album of my experiences with Stanley.  I, of course, went a little over board in carrying "the piece of paper" with me everywhere I went.  I defintely received a few looks but enjoyed sharing the project with several others.  I had blast and was thrilled to be a part of the project.

Sara and I at the start of the Anthem 5K

**February 28, 2011**

Sara is trying to focus on being healthy. She tries to eat well and exercise daily. Part of her exercise plans have been to walk in organized races. She took me on her first race of the year.

We started the race at ‘Louisville Slugger Field’. The Louisville BATS play at this baseball stadium. They are the field team for the Cincinnati Reds.

We walked through downtown Louisville and completed the ‘Anthem 5K’. A 5K is 3.1 Miles!

Sara and I at end of 3.2 Miles!

Sara plays bingo with her friends on Saturday nights.  I’ve never played bingo before.  While Sara didn’t win, it was still entertaining and fun!!
Watching them add the base of the glass

**March 5, 2011**


One of Louisville’s hot tourist spots is Glassworks. You can blow your own glass objects like pumpkins, wine glasses, vases and much more. Sara went to make a wine glass and took me along. It was so interesting to see them form a glass from a blob of glass.

Sara took me by the Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory.  Slugger has been created the popular brand since 1884.  Babe Ruth used a Louisville Slugger to hit his last home run as a NY Yankee.  The “largest bat in the world” stands outside of the museum and factory.  It weighs 68,000lbs and is six stories tall.  I felt small beside it!
Mile 6!  Only .2 to go
**March 12, 2011**

Sara and I walked another race today! The Rodes City Run is a 10K. It was much longer than the first one but we still had a great time! We completed 6.2Miles!!

They just built a brand new basketball arena in downtown Louisville last year.  Since it opened in November they’ve had many large concerts come to town and a successful season for the Louisville Cardinals.  Sara took me to my first concert, Lady Gaga!!  We had a great time and enjoy the show.

**March 21, 2011**
Sara took me to one of the historical places in Louisvlle, let alone Kentucky!  Churchill Downs is home to Thourghbred racing and the Kentucky Derby.  The twin spires in the background here are iconic to the racing community. 
<>

Entrance to Churchill Downs




No comments:

Post a Comment