Friday, August 26, 2011

Musicians, Fairgoers, and Hurricanes....OH MY!

Catching up on yesterday!  We had opening day of the fair and all in all it went pretty smooth.  We welcomed The Pointer Sisters and Larry Gatlin and the Gatlin Brothers.  Both bands were an absolute pleasure to work with. 
Ruth Pointer is the original sister of the bunch and for 60+ she looks amazing!  That is only because of her strict eating regimen.  She weighs all of her food to make sure she's eating the right portions and the best foods.  Imagine doing that while on the road and at fairs. =)  They had a great crowd of 4,000 that loved the show.

Next up was Larry Gatlin and the Gatlin Brothers.  These guys could not have been more easier to work with!  Very laid back southern men.  They even tipped the caterers.  You never have that!  Larry was cutting up and laughing with us the entire night.  They had a very laid back crowd.  Just the way we like it!

We even had a couple of logistical items thrown at us the day before.  We squeezed in a dance competition with 'Moves Like Jagger'.  Two people did their own dance to Maroon5's 'Moves Like Jagger'.  The winner won tickets to the concert in the grandstand. 
Then we had to squeeze a third band on for 45mins- Scarlett Endings.  Thankfully we had two bands that were very accommodating and easy so the day went very smooth. 

I definitely got to celebrate my birthday well!  The staff of Chevy Court surprised me during the show with a cake, card and singing candle.  Blubbering me started crying.  HA it was too sweet.  The special events direction brought me flowers.  I was also surprised when I got back to the hotel with an edible arrangement from my good friend, Erin!  When the desk attendant saw the HB balloon he started serenading me.  While it sucks to be on the road on my birthday, I'm glad to be with friends here in NY!  Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes whether by phone, text or FB!!
I got to top off the night with watching Maroon5 on the Grandstand.  Nothing like the Moves of Adam to set the night.


Maroon 5- New York State Fair Grandstand
---Friday---
I'm combining these two since I'm a day behind =)
Today we had Gym Class Heros and Three Dog Night.  Again a fairly easy day.  Gym Class Heros were a little rough around the edges but were still a pleasure to work with.  We couldn't get them to leave...literally.  Travie McCoy was out wondering around the fairgrounds and left his band mates in the van waiting on him.  LOL  I was finally able to chase them out about 7PM...3 hours after the norm.  As I was listening to the show...from the comfort of my office....I heard a song I recognized and knew what was coming next.  The song has the F-word several times.  Normally in a fair, family friendly environment they don't use excessive cursing.  I waited to hear it...and of course it was there!  After the second time I huffed it out to front of house and told the tour manager he was pushing the line.  After that song he was fine.  The excuse was that the track has the word on it...so he knew he had to sing it too....RIGHT  I wasn't born yesterday...well maybe yesterday 28years ago. =)

Next up we moved in Three Dog Night.  Very easy guys to work with!  No complaining, no demands, love it.  They have a huge crowd of 11,000+.  Love these nights with the huge crowds! 



**Weather update** At this point we're looking okay with the hurricane.  We'll be praying for those that are on the immediate coast and those that are dealing with the effects.  We're west enough that it looks like we might have rain and some wind gusts but nothing terrible.  Now, if she decides to shift west about 30miles..then we might have issues.  For now we'll just play it by ear.  Now the fun part is the flights.  Several bands have been flying in and all of them have seen delays.  Curtis Stone is/was due in at 10:30PM tonight for his show tomorrow at 2:00PM.  Right now the flight has been delayed until 2:30AM.  My guess is it will be cancelled.  We're hoping that he'll be able to get in tomorrow.  Otherwise, we'll have some big problems.  Looks like we may have to carter him from Chicago.  Anybody want to pick him up and drive him the 13hours? 

1 comment:

  1. Stay safe Kiddo!!! and Happy Happy! Hope to see you soon.....GPa

    ReplyDelete