Sunday, August 14, 2011

Never estimate the power of prayer

I started out this morning praying that God help me get through this day.  Now that I'm at the end of the day I'm giving thanks for the answered prayer.  I had set myself up for an awful day.  Organization prior to today was not the best..we'll say.  A lot of things were delayed for thing or another but the minute the crew stepped off the busses we were rolling and it all came together very nicely.  We had a threat for showers but all just dissipated throughout the day.  The sun was shining and it was windy all day long.  It couldn't have been better!  They kept us very busy but everyone was very nice, polite and encouraging.  There were several band members roaming around during the day.  The most recognizable of the bunch, Rick Allen (the one-armed drummer) carried his murse around and basically people watched all day.  The ladies of Heart were looking as stunning as ever and those girls can still rip some vocals.  There are some 80's rock bands that aren't as washed up as the others. =) 
We decided to take the opportunity this afternoon to go on the roof of the grandstand.  Given we were using a thrust (the little stage that jets off the front for the act to walk out into the crowd on) we wanted to get some shots so we could remember how we set it.  Those of you that know me well, know heights and I DON'T mix.  I was not going to pass this opportunity up but 75' in the air almost made me pee my pants.  We got some awesome shots and it was amazing to see the bulk of the fairgrounds from above. 
However, I probably should have warn those down on the ground that we were going up.  Apparently some of the crew freaked out and thought we were snipers.  One actually just told me he was scared for my life. The photos and experience were definitely worth it!
Def Leppard Sound check

Compound from above

Stage with thrust from above

Des Moines skyline
We even caught a flash mob on Grand Ave, the main road running through the fairgrounds.


I even got to experience my first counterfeit item experience.  The local radio station had created a shirt that looked identical to the album cover for "Hysteria" and were selling them for charity.  With a stupid move the band ended up seeing it and that set off the train.  Eventually, we ended up having to confiscate the t-shirts.  Now I'm stuck with a bunch of ugly t-shirts.

I ended up making it to video world to catch about 15mins of the Heart show.  They just amaze me.  I was checking facebook when I read the news of the Indiana State Fair stage collapse.  No, Triangle Talent does not produce the Indiana State Fair.  I honestly can't explain the horror of what the bands, crew and patrons must have experience.  That is honestly my worst nightmare.  Sugarland, one of my favorite bands to work with, were the act performing.  Fortunately, by the grace of God, there was not an act on stage.  They were turning the stage over from Sara Bareilles and getting ready for Sugarland.  If my timing is right the accident happened four minutes after Sara/band left the stage.  I can't even describe what this was.  Until, I watched it online it hadn't sunk in.  Now I can't get it out.  After a few minutes of worrying about the band, fair and patrons I remember "CRAP we have Sugarland here tomorrow!".  Immediately, I was on the phone trying to get a report.  Nothing.  The agents or management couldn't get a hold of the band.  At the time of my writing this the death toll is four with many dozens injured.  It completely puts your day with a few hiccups into perspective.  My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and those injured or killed.  As well as Sugarland, crews, and fair staff.  I hope to never face this in my career because it pretty much just sucks being this close to it as it is.  At this point we're assuming all of Sugarland's gear is toast.  Which means they won't be doing a show tomorrow with us.  Fortunately, they do have Monday off and it's possible for us to work that into the grandstand.  So we're hoping they will choose to come on over.  They won't be able to even see what can be savaged fro
m the site for many, many days.  The stage and area are locked up as a crime scene.  It will be thoroughly reviewed to make sure that everything was the way it was supposed to be and the wind/weather was the only factor of the collapse.  If they do choose to the show, we will definitely make it happen!

So the moral of today's story is...never estimate the power of prayer.  I know I won't tonight.

1 comment:

  1. This old grand dad hopes his No 1 granddaughter tries no more 75' climbs!

    ReplyDelete