Saturday, September 22, 2012

'Jeremiah was a Bullfrog'

Had an amazing day at the South Plains Fair with Three Dog Night!  The past few days have been filled with fun with friends and preparing the building with sound, lights and general odds and ends.  We usually have a show on Friday but in order to get bigger names throughout the fair they decided to not do a show on Friday and invest more on the rest. 

With today being our first show it was much like opening day.  First was the overhaul with the cleaning crew; make sure the bathrooms and dressing rooms are cleaned, get trash cans backstage.  Then put out the ticket stub holders, hang 'no smoking' and 'no re-entry' signs, etc. etc. :)  It was a busy day even before the band got here. 

They showed up, load in and were ready to rock when the band arrived early evening.  Then it was getting coolers ready, putting a little hospitality in the dressing rooms, getting the radio station taken care of.  This fair is a little different.  With this one I actually run the building and the concerts.  So I'm checking restrooms, managing tickets takers, operating house lights (the band's lighting director says when to turn the main lights on and off and I'm the one that has to do that), manage security and make sure the patrons are happy.

South Plains Fair- Fair Park Coliseum
Three Dog Night setup
Tonight we had almost 4,000 for the show.  There was hardly any room to sit in the venue.  They loved every minute of the show and the band did too.  They always put on such a great show.  The manager said 'you should know the show by now, you can run it next time we work with you'.  This is why I love my job, seeing 'friends' along the road that actually get it and everything runs smoothly from both ends. 

They sing an A Capella version of 'Prayer' during the show.  The front of house engineer (the guy that makes the band sound good...or bad :) ) said over 30 people came up to him in tears saying how wonderful in was.  He said it's usually a handful but never that big of a response!  Lubbock definitely loves Three Dog Night!


Three Dog Night

 
Tomorrow we have the day off.  I know we only work day and then get a day off.  Pretty cool if you ask me.  Usually the first Saturday I'm here the Komen 5K takes place.  I had been looking up to see when it was and they've actually moved it a couple of weeks but I stumpled upon a new one.  I'm proud to say that tomorrow I will be running the 1st Annual Panhandle Marathon---I'll be running half of couse. :)  I'm so excited to see how many minutes I can shave off with my new found love of running!

No comments:

Post a Comment