Saturday, August 17, 2013

The Today Show-Train-Matt Nathanson

What a day!  I made the brave attempt to wake up after only three hours of sleep to go out in the cold at 5AM to see Al Roker and The Today Show being filmed live at the Iowa State Fair.  I had no clue what to expect but knew I wanted to be in the front row.  I wasn't sure how big of a crowd would actually show up at that time.  Truth is...no one else that didn't have to be there.  I wish I had found out the schedule before we decided on 5AM.  lol  After watching the fair manager and Al Roker do a segment for The Weather Channel, we decided to grab breakfast and see what was going on a little later.

Al Roker and Gary Slater, the fair manager

 It had transformed by the time we came back.  For one thing the sun was up and there was now a small crowd forming of mostly board members and the fair queen.  They began setting up for the animal segment.  A cattle trailer pulls up and the walk out the largest bull, all 3,500 lbs of him!  It was the biggest cow I had ever seen...times two.  They also had an Angus steer, huge lamb and the prize winning pigeon.  The pigeon was even three times bigger than a usual pigeon.  Al went down the line, introduced himself and asked the folks holding the cattle what happens if one gets loose?  He said "well, I just have to be able to run faster than you guys!"  Just as he's joking the top of the pigeon's cage opens and out flies the pigeon.  Everyone, including Al was screaming.  No one thought about the pigeon!  I guess he felt he was being ignored.  As they panned past each animal I was on my tiptoes (in the 2nd row) behind the steer trying to get in the shot.  I guess I looked like one of those idiots that would be behind the anchors in the studio.  As soon as the short segment was over, they cleared the area and as quick as those left another set came in.



Big lamb

Squirt- the 3,500lb bull



Next up was a over sized tire act, balloon artist, a one man band and a pie eating contest.  That one was only 45 seconds long but we had to wait 10 mins for it be "our" turn.  They also revealed a wood and ice sculpture that had been working on several sculptures for some time.  The ice sculpture unveiled a sculpture of Al!



Ice Sculpture of Al and the Statue of Liberty

What they were able to do with very little equipment and seamlessly bring things in and out was great to see.  They had been here for 3 days preparing before.  Apparently because of the lead time the staff thought they needed more than when the President visited last year.  After seeing what they brought together, I can understand that!
After the second segment I headed back to the hotel to catch another 3 hours of sleep.  By 10:30A my phone was ringing off the hook.  I should have known there was going to be at least one show that didn't go as planned.  One that one thing starts going wrong and the rest of the day starts going downhill.  We worked through the day, the show they put on was great and is always entertaining.  I'm so exhausted from having to play double duty today that I don't even want to walk up to the stage.  Tomorrow will be better!  :)  

Train rockin the Iowa State Fair

No comments:

Post a Comment