Sunday, August 25, 2013

Babyface-Styx

Wow, what a day!  Today, just like every year I got to celebrate my birthday with my friends at the New York State Fair!  They always treat me to a special day but today was above and beyond.  Since it was the big 3-0 (I mean 2-9 cough cough :) ) they were amazing.  The day started by walking into our office with a banner on the wall saying Happy 30th Birthday.  During our 2PM show they had mimosas for a toast and an amazing raspberry, chocolate cake, and a stack of lottery tickets.  I can't retire just yet but did win $32!  We splurged for dinner at one of my favorite booths here for chicken fingers and fries.  And THEN the grandstand crew sent over another cake with a stuffed Hello Kitty.  LOL  I've never feel so loved. :)  To end the night I had a surprise facetime session with my brother and his little family.  It couldn't have been a better day and I truly appreciate each of those that made it special.  

The Chevy Court crew!

The day of shows couldn't have been a better lineup.  I've always wanted to work with or just see a concert with Babyface.  Today that came true.  Their group was great, easy to work with once they were here and the show was packed with his hits from the 90's and some from my fav, Boyz II Men.  I got to add another item to the resume, wardrobe assistant.  The labor union was supposed to send a person for the role but the call wasn't made.  They got a hold of someone but it was going to take her a while to get in.  So I decided to get a head start.  I don't iron my own clothes and I think I've used the steamer maybe three times.  I'm starting on Babyface's, pants, t-shirt and blazer.  After their are damp water marks on his pants and shirt I decide I'm doing more damage than good.  I wrangled up a shoe polish and polished his Prada shoes.  Then I just gave up and waited for the pro to get here.  The show drew a few thousand people but it was booked later than others and wasn't advertised as well.  I think had it been it would have been a really big show.  They seemed to enjoy the fair and the show.
Babyface singing "Every time I close my eyes"

Styx rolled in and immediately took over our world.  They were great.  Worked extremely efficiently, made things work in the space and the amount of time.  Each and every person was so sweet.  They all wished me happy birthday; like you could miss the banner.  They even shared my second birthday cake with me and gave me a signed photo saying happy birthday.  Their show is unbelievable!  A show full of hits.  The crowd was phenomenal.  We have some tall trooper towers that look just like the towers you see in movies about prisons.  I climbed up to take a look at the crowd.  We estimated it over 21,000.  These nights are especially what makes it feel worth it.  Listening to the crowd singing along with the band sounds like a harmony of people just having a great time.

Styx prepping backstage


Tomorrow should be a huge day!  We have Florida Georgia Line, an up and coming country act that has blown up the past six months.  If you don't listen to country you've probably heard 'Cruise' w/ Nelly?  That's Florida Georgia Line with Nelly.

No comments:

Post a Comment