Saturday, August 10, 2013

Happy Together Tour

Some of my favorite days on the road are the easy days.  That's probably because 'easy' is few and far between.  Today was one of those days--favorite day!  We had what was called the Happy Together Tour.  It consists of ONE band and several of the most popular singers from the favorite 60's acts.  Today we've had floating around, Gary Lewis of the Playboys, Mark Lindsay of Paul Revere and the Raiders, Gary Puckett, Chuck Negron of Three Dog Night and Flo and Eddie of the Turtles.  I don't recognize half of them of course.  I really should look these people up before they show up.

I did get to have a nice conversation with Flo of the Turtles.  It's fascinating to pick the brain of someone that's been in the business for so long, has been through ups and downs and seen everything in the business.  I didn't necessary "choose" the fair business.  I like to think it chose me.  Hearing from an act that embraces the principals of fairs and thrives from their existence, makes my job seem worthwhile.

Today I had enough time to get 7 hours of sleep, run and have breakfast with the sound and light provider for all five stages of the fair.  I didn't have to be on site until about noon but came over about 11a to work on other things.  The tour runs so seamlessly that I haven't even had to check on the stage to make sure everyone was on the stage when they need to be.  It runs like a well oiled machine.  One comes off, the next goes on.  The Turtles actually came out to Gangnam Style.  =)

For "Happy Together" one of the Turtles hits they bring everyone back on stage.  Imagine all of those legends on one stage!

The first Friday of the fair is nicknamed 'East Side Night'.  Everyone that lives in the East Side claims that to be their special night and they pack the fairgrounds.  As such, I'm now waiting to go home until the bus leaves at midnight because there's no chance I'll make it through the crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment