Friday, July 23, 2010

American journey/Birth of the Nook

As usual on travel days (that are earlier than I ever get up!) I oversleep. The saving graces of this are 1) I live in Louisville where you never have a problem getting into the airport and 2) I was flying American which always boards late, leave late and arrives late.  I managed to pack for 3 days in a carry on and my business tote.  For those of you that know me well, you know that this is a challenge.  I figured it was worth saving the outrageous baggage fees and my sanity of having to squeeze a massive rolling bag into that tiny compartment.  For some reason my upper body strength disappears when I'm lifting a 25lb suitcase over my head. 



American is by far my least favorite airline (hence the comment above).  I've never had good luck with them.  But this morning I had to double check and make sure I wasn't on Southwest (my favorite airline).  We left on time and even arrived 20mins early! 
And this brings me to the second half of the title: Birth of the Nook.
In my travels last year I had about 4 weeks that I was out, had a few days at home and then back on the road for another 3.5wks.  In this time I read six books.  I collect hardback books for those authors I love, James Patterson, Iris Johansen, Mary Higgins Clark..plus others.  I packed about 3 books for the first leg and had them finished in no time.  I ended up leaving them with Josh in Branson and buying paperbacks of ones I had at home.  Since I won't be coming home for those few days and won't have the luxury of leaving them with Josh I had to come up with a different plan.  It was either that or pack a seperate suitcase just for books!  HA!  I decided to face the fears and go electronic.  I like the feel of the book in my hands and I was worried about not having that.  I purchased a Nook a few weeks ago and was totally excited to use it on this first trip.  I hadn't thought about it until last night but I realized that I can't have it on for the first part of the flight!  DUH "Anything with an on/off switch but be switched the off position"  This part was not fun.  I had to listen to the in flight instructions for the first time since I was 12.  But once I could turn it on it was awesome!  It's going to save so much space this summer.

I got to Dallas by 8:30CST...whew!  Picked up the rental car which was a different experience.  DFW is HUGE!  At Alamo they have all the cars sorted by type; compact, mid-size, etc.  You walk to that area and pick out the car you want.  It was like shopping!  LOL  I was about to keep it in the family and choose the Avenger but decided to go with the newer model of the Sebring.  When I was car shopping just 3years ago I was going to purchase this in convertible...but they weren't released until 4 months later.  So I thought I'd see what it's like.  Glad I chose the Charger!  It's a nice car but when I was having to get speed to get out in front of all these crazy drivers down her she just didn't have the get up and go mine does. 

I had a great visit and walk through at the venue for tomorrow.  It's 20,000+ seat professional soccer stadium, Pizza Hut Park.  We'll have 15,000+ coming in for the show tomorrow.  From what it seems the venue, crew and staff run well.  Which mean tomorrow will hopefully be an easy day!! 

But since it starts at 7:00A I better head to bed now. =)

Thinking of all my friends and co-workers back home in Hullabalou (wishing I was watching Bon Jovi right now!) and the fine folks that kicked off the Susan G. Komen 3-Day events in Boston today!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sara........
    I read every word and thoroughly enjoy it! Stay safe!
    Love ya,
    Grandpa

    ReplyDelete