Wednesday, October 9, 2013

That dreadful flight on a tarmac somewhere in Texas.

I can't say I'm a traveling guru but in the limited time I spend traveling from year to year I've certainly learned a thing or two.  I can still remember one of the first times I flew solo and my how much has changed since then.  I never really get nervous about layovers or changes in travel but sometimes I do become more relaxed and forget to cautious of things going haywire.  This year after my 'Mud and Dust Tour' had officially came to a close I was looking forward to just getting home!  All summer I had my fingers crossed that something would happen and give me the opportunity to get "bumped" from a flight.  Typically when an airline asks for volunteers because of an over booked or over weight flight they'll give you a voucher worth $200+ that can be used toward another flight.  I thought, 'hey, I'm really not in a rush to get somewhere and only have to hang around for a few hours I'll take that!".  As each trip and flight went by the offer never came.

Flashback to Sunday September 29th.  I'm leaving Lubbock, TX after 9 days of fun with concerts and friends.  After being on the road for almost two months the exhaustion was finally catching up with me.  I started the morning with a "goodbye" breakfast with the girls, rushed around to clean out the office, tell the staff goodbye and return the rental van. My friend, Jan dropped me at the airport.  As I near the ticket agent I see that the flight has been delayed.  I can't help but admit I thought this was going to be my ticket to that voucher.  The flight was supposed to leave at 11:50A but was delayed to 12:20P.  My layover in Dallas was over three hours so I knew I wasn't going to have any trouble there.  Actually I had just complained that morning about how long the layover was going to be.  The gate agent was communicating well about when the plane was due and warning us all to "be ready" because as soon as it landed they were boarding that thing and leaving.  Sure enough we were on the plane, in the air and I was knocked out cold before the plane even took off.

When I awoke from my nap I realized we weren't going anywhere.  As I peek out the window we were seriously going in circles.  The pilot comes on to tell us that DFW (Dallas) has informed them that they are not allowed to land.  He said, "they haven't given us a reason why so we're going to circle for a little while longer."  After about 30mins of this and one more similar announcement they came on to say we were being diverted to Austin.  The pilot "assumed" it was due to weather.  I assumed the President was flying over and messing all the transport up.  After landing in Austin we were in for a treat.
At least the view was pretty as we circled
1:50PM- Flight is diverted to Austin
      We were given a phone number to call to see about rebooking our connections.  At this point I still had some time to waste before my connection was in jeopardy.  That is if they planned on getting us in within two hours.  I went through the menu of selections to finally speak to someone.  At this point we're all frustrated because they can't even tell use why we aren't able to get into DFW.   The lady on the other end didn't find my sarastic humor as humorous as I did.  I know I told her "no mamm, we're being held hostage on a plane on a tarmac in Austin.  I don't know why they won't let us get into DFW."  I was informed since the airport still had "a hold" of my reservation she could do nothing with it.  I.e. she couldn't reschedule my flight and put me on the later flight.  She also had no confirmed information on why all of this was happening other than there was "predicted" weather.  So basically she was telling me that we were literally on top of the airport and weren't allowed to land because of the prediction of a storm.  I would have rather been sitting on the tarmac in DFW for that.

Soon after they allowed passengers that were flying to three specific locations to exit the plane.  The flight attendents brought out snack and water for those of us left behind.  Yay for cheese its and bottled water.

2:50PM We were told that the groundstop (aka no flights in or out of DFW) had been lifted and we would be leaving soon.  That would have been just in time to more than likely make my connection.  But just as soon as they told us that they said that it had been reissued until 3:30PM.  The flight attendant came through to show us a radar on his tablet so we were aware of the storm/s that were passing through Dallas.  It did end up being a pretty nasty storm.  I had pulled out my laptop so 1) I could charge my phone that was sucking the battery with all the texting, radar viewing and facebooking I was doing and 2) so I could actually get some work done.

3:30PM  Ground stop was lifted, engines were fired up and we were making our way to the take off strip.  We were second in a line of four planes that were in the same situation.  We started going slower and slower and realized that the first plane was stopped.  Sure enough, groundstop was reinstated until 4:30PM.  At this point I've looked and know that my original connection flight had left.  They took us back to our original location on tarmac.  The one fortunate thing about this was that the flight was about half full so we all pretty much had a row of seats to ourselves.  There four other passengers in my surrounding area.  We all became buddies and couldn't help but laugh at the situation.  We were all going in different directions and all had different "life stories" but we had one thing in common, we were being held hostage by American Airlines.
The flight attendants started to offer more snacks and beverages.  It didn't take us long to realize the booze were on that cart and they happily offered that as well.  Knowing what was ahead I would have stocked up.
No they weren't mixed

4:30PM  The groundstop reissued yet again and they took us to the jetway.  We were given an option, get off the plane or not.  If we got off the plane we were terminating that flight and would have to wait for a flight out of Austin to DFW or our final destination.  All which would more than likely be the next day.  If we stayed on the plane and they shut the door it would be three more hours before they had to open the door again.  Yes, we could have been stuck for three more hours if we weren't allowed to leave for DFW in that timeframe.  Our 5 musketeers decided we were in it for the long haul and were going to take our chances of getting into DFW that night.  Now had they given us the option for a free nights stay and partying at 6th St we would have stayed in Austin.  However, it would have been much easier to get a flight out of Dallas.  I think the first class passengers might have been complaining because they soon said everyone had to get off the flight and once we're able to leave we would all reboard.

At this point we had no clue when the next time we were going to be allowed to eat.  I wasn't even hungry but wasn't going to risk not getting to eat for another 3+ hours.  As soon as I finished dinner and a friendly conversation with a few of the musketeers they told us it was time to get back on the plane...we were leaving!  As soon as we got back on the flight we all started calling the 800# they gave us when we first got there.  Hope was that there were still flights that could get us out that night.  As I spoke to probably the slowest person at AA every one else was either rebooked or some even changed their destination.  My neighbor switched her flight to Omaha from Des Moines and her husband was going to drive the two hours to pick her up.  I was considering which would be easier wait for a flight to SDF or go to Indy or Cincinnati and drive home.  My rep told me the first available flight she could get me on was 12:45P the next day, would connect through Chicago and not get to Louisville until 7:40PM Sunday night.  I was so furious at this point.  Had the rebooked me when I called 3.5hours before I could have been on the 7:45AM direct flight.  Oddly enough I think my musketeers were even more upset.  One even said, "Hey isn't Louisville the UPS hub?  We'll just pack you up and overnight you...it will be quicker and cheaper!"  He was also the one that asked if I could cry on command because that would help when I spoke to the ticket agent in DFW.

5:50PM  We finally departed for Dallas.  The claps and cheers from all aboard were comical to say the least as the plane went airborne.

6:45PM We landed in Dallas and were told there wasn't a gate available.  Yet another 30min wait on a tarmac.  We did see this lovely piece that apparently was just dropped and no one was bothering to pick it up.  I wonder if it ever made it to it's owner.
Clean up on the tarmac

They told us there was a gate available, we moved, and psych, no there wasn't.  I got up to go to the bathroom.  As I come out one of the attendants is sitting in his seat between the bathrooms, gives me a scowling look and says, "please get in your seat.  We might miss our gate because of you."  Oddly enough, one of the 5 musketeers was in the next bathroom and the flight attendant was banging on the door.  Either we really did force them to lose the gate or the gate really wasn't ready because we sat there yet another 15mins.

After finally getting off that dreadful plane we all went our separate ways.  I was pushing to the ticket counter to discuss other options for a flight the next day.  I was going to find any opportunity to leave earlier than 12:45PM.  This forced me to "leave" the airport and would mean the option of sleeping in the airport to be void.  The ticket agent informed me that I could go on standby the next morning for the 7:45AM flight that would be direct to Louisville.  Being the second person on standby meant I did stand a shot.  After all this my consolation prize was a travel "spa kit" with a 1 cent razor, baby toothbrush and a small packet of toothpaste. I was thankful and pissed at the same time.

Going back to the initial part of this blog about knowing how to deal with issues on the fly...I went to the phone bank where several hotels were listed.  Called a few and found the best rate and asked them to send the shuttle.  A half hour later I was on my way to a lovely hotel.  The shuttle driver even took me to Target so I could get a change of clothes and additional toiletry items.  In that same note from the beginning I mentioned not being as prepared for chaos.  I stopped packing a change of clothes and toiletry items once they started strictly regulating what you're able to bring in your carry on.

After my trip to Target and a lovely meal from Whataburger I was ready for bed and the next day.  When I entered the airport the next day I saw stacks and stacks of cots and even some still resting in every corner you saw.  I felt extremely lucky to have great bosses that give me the opportunity to stay in a hotel instead of a crash pad in the airport.  I was certainly elated to hear my name be called from the standby list.  I was on that early flight and heading home!

What did American Airlines do because of all of this you ask?  They got me home safely.  I guess that's all I could ask for.  No they didn't pay for the hotel room, no they didn't pay for food.  But we had some of the nicest flight attendants and pilots and that's what kept us all sane.  I sure hope the other 4 musketeers made it safely; one that missed a football game, one getting home to her family, one that was possibly going to loose their job if they didn't make it to CA by a specific time and one that was in the same boat as me...just ready to get home!




No comments:

Post a Comment