Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Tommy James & The Shondells/Lee Brice

I can't believe it.  I forgot to blog about our first show at the South Plains Fair (Lubbock, TX) on Saturday.  We had a great day on Friday setting up for the shows.  The fair hired a new production company to bring in sound, lights and the like.  Change is always a little unsettling.  But this change has turned out to be amazing.  This company has been a dream to work with.  Great equipment, they love what they do and most of all they are completely organized and friendly!  Holding my breath til the end but so far it has been smooth sailing!

We kicked off the fair with Tommy James and the Shondells.  Honestly, I wasn't familiar with the band or their music before the show.  After is another story.  They had hits like Mony Mony, Hanky Panky, I Think We're Alone Now and about 40years worth of music.  Let say by the end of the show I was a fan.  Tommy was extremely nice, really his whole crew was.  The show was non-stop hits and fun.  How a guy at his age can run around for an hour+ is amazing.  Once their show was over he went and signed autographs for over an hour for his fans that stuck around.  We were all having a good time just telling stories and jokes while waiting for him to finish up.  The different thing about Tommy is he doesn't like to take connecting flights.  Usually the connecting flights when coming into a small town are the small puddle jumpers.  He doesn't like those and I can say I don't blame him!  So to get here he had gotten in limo in Dallas and drove the 5 hours here.  Goodness!!  Then they turned around and rode back the next morning.  The rest of the crew fly in and out of Lubbock.
Tommy James and the Shondells

We didn't have a show on Sunday so I went to see the movies 'Prisoners' with my friend, Jan.  It was a really good movie, dark and had many twists and long!  Once the movie was over we were thinking of something else to do....why not the fair!  lol   We went and did all the things we can't do while we're working.  Including being in a hypnotist show!  This was Jan's first time and my second.  It was the same amazing hypnotist, Ron Diamond that I was in his show at the Iowa State Fair.  It was such a great time!

Today started early for me.  The band ended up pulling in around 7AM.  I usually wouldn't be here until about an hour or so before load in.  I knew they would be starting to stir around 10AM.  I was right and I've barely sat down since.  Taking care of the building, employees and then the band and their needs, it turns out to be a long day.  This group was fantastic to work with.  They were all friendly and just did their job.  The show was a really great show.  Lee Brice has so many popular songs.  One of those that you forget he's the one that sings them.  But watch out, this guy is going to be big!  He and his family are complete sweethearts.  His little boy was playing by the buses all day.   It wasn't until late tonight that the fair's asst manager brought her kids over and they all started playing football.  That was more fun than the show!  I would go from outside playing football to inside checking on the crowd, clearing aisles and watching the show.  What a fun night!  The crowd we had was a great one.  Very well behaved but still having a good time.



Tomorrow is Tejano night.  I'm not familiar with the band but apparently it's the brother of Selena.  Should be an interesting day!

No comments:

Post a Comment