Saturday, September 24, 2011

Kevin Fowler in the Star state

I'm on my third day in the good ole' city of Lubbock.  I love visiting this city because I get to see great friends and working at the fair is very different but fun!  It's a county fair that is ran by a fair manager.  The staff is very small but mighty.  They do a great job at keeping the fairgrounds in line throughout the year and the fair.  At this fair it's different because I oversee the entire building that the concerts take place in.  I'm in charge of directing security, ticket takers, etc.  If a toilet overflows guess who gets to call maintenance? =)  It's a change from the other fairs I do but I love it just the same.  Plus I get to work with one of my co-workers--Mark "Sparky" Sparks and many of his grounds acts that I'm lucky to call friends. 

We kicked off the fair with a fabulous day of weather.  It was looking like a great day!  Kevin Fowler was our star of the night.  Don't know who he is? Yeah, me neither.  I'm mean I've heard of him but haven't heard his music on the radio at home.  Texas is another ball of wax when it comes to country music.  They have their own music charts (how artist's singles are ranked and therefore popularity is based) and their own circle of acts.  Sometimes those acts break into mainstream (i.e. Pat Green, Eli Young Band, Willie Nelson, etc.).  However, the show was decent and he definitely loves to entertain the crowd.  They like to be entertained as well since about 500 of them rushed the stage when he told everyone to "come on down"!

On another note- I'm now four in on cancellations this year on the Mud and Dust tour.  We were supposed to have Easton Corbin here on Monday.  I was looking forward to it.  Apparently Easton is extremely ill and had to cancel a show with the 'big boss' today at the Oklahoma State Fair.  In turn we immediately became worried about the Lubbock date.  After another day of scurrying around trying to find a replacement, determining with the fair manager and sponsoring radio station who'd they'd like to have replace him, and receiving the official yet regretful word of cancellation from his management, we will now be having Sawyer Brown on Monday.  Now I'm really looking forward to the show. =)  I saw SB in college a couple of times and LOVED the show.  It will be a great one!  Now, NO more cancellations for the rest of the year!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment