Saturday, September 3, 2011

Charlie Wilson 'drops the bomb' and The Script 'breakeven'

While we're rejoicing that we only have two more days we are reflecting on two very good days! 

David Nail, new country act was with us Friday afternoon.  Very easy group to work with and a good show.  A little more laid back for my tastes but he did entertain the small crowd he drew.  We had a gorgeous day with sun and a light breeze.  Mother Nature was just teasing us. 

I got to stop by over at the Grandstand and see my Lady A buddies.  Always a pleasure to see great acts that we work with from show to show.  Clay had a great day over on the other side of wonderland with them. 

Charlie Wilson's crew came in early to start preparing his wardrobe.  I guess I didn't understand what the show entailed until I saw it.  Holy cow!  What a production.  They had probably 20 costume changes.  From marching band getups, to battery lit suits, to angel wings...it was very entertaining. 
A fraction of Charlie and dancers wardrobe backstage


Charlie Wilson show

He entertained an estimated crowd of 7,000 with his fabulous show.  He was a very big star as well ( ;) ) we had to evacuate the backstage area as he was walking to and from his dressing room. 


Today (Saturday- Day 10) we got to work with what I would say are two of the greatest bands in the biz.  Hot Chelle Rae and The Script are amazing!  It turned out that they are actually on tour together.  We didn't know that when we booked the show.  It made it very easy.  Just like a "normal" concert but with a 5 hour intermission.  Both are very mainstream pop but with a little edge.  Hot Chelle Rae drew a little younger crowd but The Script brought in the older teenagers.  So, thankfully, the screams weren't quite as high pitched!  I get to work with HCR again in Lubbock in a couple of weeks and am definitely looking forward to it.  I loved The Script.  Band and crew are all from Ireland.  Typically when they have accents they're a pain in the ass to work with.  However, these guys were amazingly professional and polite.  Such a great day and the show was awesome too.  There were about 10,000 for their show and it was very elaborate with a great lighting setup. 
The Script crowd

I had the pleasure of going over the the Grandstand and seeing my buddies with Sugarland.  These guys have had a tough couple of weeks since the accident at the Indiana State Fair.  It was a very surreal moment driving over and seeing the trucks backed up to the stage just like in IN.  I talked with a few of the crew guys and they are still just a mess.  The fact that these guys are still on the road, not cancelling shows and keeping their fans happy are incredible.  They should all be in therapy and I wouldn't be surprised if they packed a psychiatrist on the bus.  I can't imagine what they've been through and are going through now. 

Remember my cool photo with Mickey the baboon from the Lubbock Fair last year?  We got to visit with his little brother (LOL) today.  It was a great time.  He's almost like a spider monkey.  He would loose his footing and would grab on with his tail...as monkies are supposed to.  So cute!  For those of you that know my love of monkeys know how fun this was for me!

We're hoping the weather holds out for these last two days!

No comments:

Post a Comment